1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper
2. It’s all about that base: in a large bowl sift together all the dry base ingredients, then add all the wet ingredients one at a time
3. Mix well until it forms a dough
4. Transfer the dough into the parchment paper lined pan and flatten it with your hands evenly
5. Bake this dough for about 15-18 minutes, checking to see if the edges get crispy
6. Allow the dough to cool during the time you are making the topping. (The longer you wait the better so it stays in tact when adding the topping!)
7. For the topping: use a saucepan on low heat and add the coconut oil, almond milk, maple syrup and sea salt.
8. While the coconut oil is melting, take the chopped dates and put them into a food processor. Blend them up until they are smoOo0th!
9. Once the coconut oil is melted, add the dates into the saucepan mixture, as well as the chopped pecans.
10. While it is hot, remove the topping from the saucepan onto the pie base and use a spoon to spread it out evenly.
11. Bake the whole pie for about 10 minutes, take out and add the large pecan pieces (IF YOU WANT)
12. Put the pie back into the oven for another 6-8 minutes or until the topping is settled. Cool COMPLETELY before eating and ENJOY
Vegan and gluten free pecan bars
ALISSA REALLY DEVELOPED SOMETHING SPECIAL, THESE BARS WERE SUCH A HIT IN OUR APARTMENT AND YOU'LL LOVE THEM TOO. TOP WITH A SCOOP OF VANILLA BEAN ICE CREAM!!
What you need:
For the pie crust base:
2 cups of almond flour (https://www.bobsredmill.com/almond-meal-flour.html)
¼ cup of coconut flour (https://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-coconut-flour.html)
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup coconut oil (MELTED)
2 tbsp of almond milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tbsp of PURE VERMONT maple syrup
For the topping:
½ cup of chopped dates (soaked in hot water and pitted)
½ cup of maple syrup
2 tbsp of Almond Milk
6 tbsp coconut oil
dash of sea salt
2 cups of smashed PECANS
And then some whole ones for the top if you are feeling extra nutty